Your chiropractic consultation will comprise
Detecting the Cause Of Pain
At Severn Chiropractic Clinic all of our Chiropractors are trained in the differential diagnosis of musculoskeletal pain. This includes the identification of significant joint and muscle dysfunction, faulty movement patterns, as well as more uncommon but potentially serious disorders. Chiropractors specialise in treating pain caused from dysfunction of the musculoskeletal system.
This process involves a detailed discussion of the problem you are presenting with. You will also be asked questions about your past medical history and family history. By obtaining detailed information, the Chiropractor is able to rule out more serious problems and focus the examination on the area that is most likely to be causing the pain.
The physical examination helps establish the cause of your problem. It involves an assessment of movement patterns. It can include palpation of joints of the spine or extremities and also examination of muscles and muscle testing. A variety of tests are performed to ascertain the cause of your condition, these are not painful. Occasionally it may be necessary to obtain further imaging before treatment can begin, such as X-ray analysis or an MRI scan.
Report of findings
As part of your initial consultation the Chiropractor will explain to you what is causing your condition, they will also explain:
- Whether Chiropractic treatment is likely to help you.
- How long it is going to take and how much better he/she expects you will be. (This is your Treatment Plan)
- If another type of treatment; surgery, injections etc. is more suitable for you.
- Any risks or side effects associated with treatment.
- What you can do to help yourself e.g. stretching, rehabilitation exercises, activities you should avoid and lifestyle changes including diet that may aid healing or prevent a relapse.
- The likely outcome of having no treatment.
- You are not obliged to have treatment. Please ask as many questions as you wish, we want you to understand your condition.
Treatment will be tailored to the needs of the individual. It is determined by the diagnosis given, age and current health status of the person. The treatment techniques are explained on our FAQ page.